Using personal website is an alternate way to present yourself other than CV. There are many tools that can help you build your website. I found Sphinx quite useful. The following section about Sphinx was presented during the Penn State Geoscience Computer Users Group meeting on 03/30/2016.
Making a Website Without Knowing HTML¶
The official website for Sphinx is http://www.sphinx-doc.org/. You can find detailed instructions about how to use it on the official website.
You can install Sphinx using Anaconda
conda install sphinx
pip install sphinx
For PCs, see instrucitons on this page.
Many projects are using Sphinx now, such as GMT, Numpy, matplotlib, pip.
Pros & Cons¶
Advantages of using Sphinx including
- Don’t have to learn HTML syntax (and Python)
- Less efforts on editing and maintaining
- Supporting onversions to other formats, such as Latex and PDF
- Not as flexible as HTML
- Advanced features require additional Python packages
- Using bash commands
- Use sphinx-quickstart to set up the framework
- Write text files with format markers
- Convert text files into HTML (make html) or other formats
From the department, you can use idocrase.geosc.psu.edu.
For seismology students, you may have access to eqseis.geosc.psu.edu.